Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Things Married People Take for Granted

Wednesday, June 17, 2009
I have never been married, never really thought of myself as the marrying type. So, being the single woman that I am (for as long as I have been), I have come to greatly appreciate the perks of not being hitched...

  • I don't have to call and let someone know where I am, or when I'll be home.
  • I don't have to pick up after another grown ass person
  • When it comes to purchases, I only have to consult with my bank account
  • I don't have to look at the same person everyday FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. I've often imagined being married and waking up one day, saying "damn, you're still here?"
  • And on, and on, and on.....
The list is endless...but then I started thinking...there MUST be perks to being married or in a long-term relationship. And although I had to think long and hard about it, I was able to come up with a few things that I would appreciate about being married, things that those who are married certainly take for granted:

  • Sex...captive and at-the-ready
This had to be at the top of the list. There's nothing like a long, dry spell with no promising prospects to put the luxury of having regular sex into perspective. Let's face it, really good sex has the ability to change your day. Ladies & Gents, if you have someone at home who always wants to have sex, and they don't completely repulse you...don't hate, appreciate!

  • Shared responsibility
I recently hired a housekeeper (and I'm more than happy to pay to have that responsibility shared), it would really be nice to have someone around share the bills, travel expenses, school activity drop-offs and pick-ups...etc. I am only one person even though, like many other single moms, I'm great a faking like I'm at least 3 or 4 people.

  • Someone to help you remember things
"Honey, can you help me remember (fill in the blank)". I could be so much more productive if I had someone to refresh my memory, my kid is truly useless for this purpose.

  • Someone to lie to you
"Baby, I LOVE your new haircut"..."Of course that doesn't make you look fat"..." You haven't aged a day since we met". HAHAHAHA...ALL LIES, but I would get married tomorrow to hear those lies everyday. Once you walk out of the door of your house, the cold, harsh world is out there and you can't mistake those crazy looks upside your head for anything other than what they are.

  • Guaranteed date to weddings, plays, parties, etc.
Currently I have 3 options:

1. pick from my current available pool...umm yeah, if any of them were worth it there wouldn't be a pool
2. meet someone new with whom I would actually want to spend that kind of time
3. go alone

Let's just say that it would be nice if the only decision I had to make for a big event was which pair of heels to wear.

  • Stay-at-home Handyman/Spider Killer
You don't know how much I would appreciate this! Knowing that when the lightbulb in the stairway went out it would be changed sometime before my father came to visit...priceless. And the value of a spider free home...that's worth more lovin' than my partner could handle!!


Use the comment section to tell us what you think married people take for granted. Have you taken things for granted in your relationship?

0 comments:

Post a Comment